|History of Schwartz Avenue|
|Schwartz Avenue had its beginning possibly as an African American community around 1872 when an African American by the name of Isaac Taylor purchased a lot on Schwartz Avenue. Whether or not he built a house at the same time is not known.
One of the typical houses that was searched on Schwartz Avenue by County Historian John McGrain was 421 Schwartz Avenue. The date of construction seemed to fall between 1869 and 1872. A structure was certainly standing there as of August 3, 1872, when there was a mention in a deed of Isaac Taylors house and lot on Schwartz Avenue. The property was sold to Mary Johnson in September 1909.
Schwartz Avenue splits Baltimore County and Baltimore City. One half of the street is in both municipalities. It appears that about twenty or so of the houses are located in Baltimore County. During their existence, there has been a church, a school, and a meeting hall in this little community.